The Contents of Spill Kits
Spills happen, whether it’s your son who accidentally tips over his glass of milk or your employee who accidentally spills a bucket of cleaning solution. The important thing when spills happen is to clean them up properly. This is where spill kits come in.
Brent Industries offers a reusable spill kit, the B.I. Reusable Spill Kit. Rather than just use a disposable spill kit and dispose of potentially hazardous waste material, we use our proven green waste recycling process to clean your spill kit and get you a new one, helping to save the environment. Below, we’ll take a look at the contents of a typical spill kit that are absolutely essential to have on hand when a spill occurs. Call our textile recycling company today!
What is a Spill Kit?
Everyone spills, so you need to be prepared when it does happen in order to mitigate the risk of the spill contaminating anything nearby, including employees. Thus, rather than waste time searching for everything you need to clean up a spill, a spill kit contains everything you will need, which we will enumerate below. Plus, the kit itself becomes the vehicle where you put the absorbent items to be disposed of (preferably sent to us!). OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) requires spill kits for those who handle hazardous waste regularly. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) also has regulations in place for when spills occur.
CONTENTS OF A SPILL KIT
Bin, Bag, or Other Containment Item
You need a bag, a drum, a large trash can, or similar container to hold all the items in your spill kit together. The important thing here is to have it labeled and accessible by all so that it can be grabbed quickly and transported to the spill site by any employee.
It makes sense that when you spill something you will need something to absorb it. There are many different types of spill kits, which will have different types of absorbents specific to the spill. However, a good rule of thumb for absorbents is below.
- Absorbent socks. Absorbent socks resemble small versions of swim noodles. These are flexible tubes made of absorbent material that you use to contain the spill so that it doesn’t spread into other areas.
- Absorbent cushions. Absorbent cushions were designed to contain any runoffs. These are important if the spill occurs on a ramp or other sort of incline or slope.
- Absorbent pads. Absorbent pads are the main component used to soak up the spill. These will be different depending on which type of spill kit you purchased. However, in general, you soak up all of the spilled material and then dispose of all these absorbents properly.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
It’s important to protect you from the spill, so all industrial spill kits need to have various personal protective equipment inside. This can vary depending on the type of spills you would need to handle, but in general, the following items are what you want to have:
- Booties for your shoes
- Respirators or masks
- Hard hats
Disposable Bags and Ties
Once you soak up your chemical spill, hazardous waste, or what have you, you will need to dispose of the material properly. The first step of proper disposal is to put all of your absorbent materials in a disposable bag that is then labelled. If necessary, you may need multiple bags to hold the absorbents if the spill was large.
Once all of the spill has been contained and placed in a bag, it’s handy to have a drum or other container (wheels are nice) in order to hold all of the bags nicely. This makes for easy final disposal. Here, this is when you call Brent Industries for pick up, or you can follow the necessary disposal laws of your particular waste product.
Other Nice-To-Have Items On Hand
The above are the absolute minimum to have in your industrial spill kits. Below are some items that are just nice to have.
- Simple tools. Simple tools can include wrenches, hammers, dustpans, scoops, a broom nearby, shovels, and more. Spills can happen anywhere, and they don’t usually spill conveniently, such as in the middle of your industrial shop’s floor. This means that spills can run underneath hard-to-move objects in which you may need a wrench or a hammer. Dustpans and shovels can help to make the cleanup go faster.
- Patch and repair tools and products. Patch and repair products can include epoxy repair putty, plugs, wraps, and non-sparking wrenches. These tools would mainly be needed after the spill has been cleaned up, but they could be useful for a quick repair job without having to hunt them up as well.
- Glass container containment. If you spilled a container that was glass, it may have broken. Having a separate container for sharp items and/or tools to pick up the glass can be extremely helpful.
BRENT INDUSTRIES’ SPILL KIT
Our spill kit is a universal spill kit designed to handle most spills you’d face on the job. Our spill kit contains:
- 100 18″ x 18″ reusable oil absorbents
- 5 3″ x 48″ reusable absorbent socks
- 25 shop towels
- 2 pairs of rubber gloves
- 1 55 gallon drum
We suggest you also have some of the other items that we’ve mentioned nearby for convenience.
WHY CHOOSE BRENT INDUSTRIES’ SPILL KITS
- Reusable. Most of us are trying to reduce our carbon footprint. When you spill, you can use a lot of materials to clean it up that have to be properly disposed of, instead of reused. When you partner with our hazardous waste recycling company, we use our proven dry cleaning and petroleum refining process to remove and reclaim oil, solvents, grease, and other contaminants from your absorbents in a completely closed recycling system, meaning no solvents or vapors escape.
- Environmentally-friendly. Our mission is to ensure nothing is wasted. Thus, we reuse solvents, and ensure nothing ends up in a landfill.
- Cost-effective. Rather than waste money on buying new absorbents, you can use our reconditioning and recycle materials again in your next spill kit.
- Easy! We work with you to collect your industrial spill kit, often using a carrier service to pick it up and transport it for you. All of our drivers have hazmat endorsement driver’s licenses. We then drop off your next spill kit in its place, taking the hassle of that entire process off your plate.
CALL BRENT INDUSTRIES TODAY FOR YOUR INDUSTRIAL SPILL KIT NEEDS
Having industrial spill kits will make your life infinitely easier when a spill arises. You simply grab and go, completing the entire process within minutes and significantly cutting any impact the spill could have to your operations.
Brent Industries has been helping companies by supplying our B.I. Reusable Spill Kit for years. We are committed to doing our part to help conserve the world’s resources by our green waste recycling process. We believe that our proven process not only saves you money, but also saves an untold number of habitats, animals, plants, and biosystems. By reusing what we have, the planet is a much healthier place and shall be for years to come.
Reach out to Brent Industries with any questions you have about our recyclable industrial spill kits. We understand that the green waste recycling process can be complicated, and we are more than happy to explain how it works. By using us and our waste reduction process, you can then use this as your own selling point with your customers. Many people love to hear how you are saving the planet through using environmentally safe products, and many people will buy from you because of it. By using our textile recycling company, you are showing your commitment to the environment as well. Call us today to get started!